Thursday 5 May 2011

Looi Qin En - Reflections on my week long SPF internship


In December 2010, I was indeed blessed to enjoy my internship with the Singapore Police Force F division for a week. Initially, the Ministry of Home Affairs was not my top three choices where I preferred to complete my PSC internship at, but I was fortunate to be offered an internship with the Singapore Police Force.

It turned out to be an extremely enriching and memorable experience which I would never forget. I was able to experience many aspects of the police life, varying from the crime control unit patrol rounds at night where we conducted spot-checks on suspicious looking people, to police car round-about patrols around my neighborhood. To be able to experience and understand the nature of police work was a delightful experience, as I was able to view my neighborhood in a different light, and understand how the men in blue kept our streets safe. Their high level of professionalism on the job and the camaraderie shared amongst the team whilst on the job was inspiring, and even though their job was physically and mentally demanding, the officers, regardless of rank, took pride in what they did.

Our mentor, Superintendent Alvin Moh, Head of Operations at the F Division also taught us important lessons on servant leadership. His ability to reach out to his team at all levels, even as a high-flying scholar, was heart-warming and inspiring. Indeed, the most important lesson I have learnt out of this whole experience is how to be a better leader. Whilst we interacted with the junior officers whom complained about their leaders at times, we heard nothing but compliments for Supt Moh, even when he was not physically around and there was no one over-hearing us. The level of respect he commanded and the care he shows to his men by taking time off his busy schedule to follow them on their rounds occasionally moved more than a few officers, and he epitomized what an effective leader would be. Even when some of the officers were unmotivated and not performing well on the job, he would sit down with them personally and discuss with them what were the problems faced. Instead of highlighting problems, he was suggesting solutions, and thus won the respect of his team. In essence, Supt Moh demonstrated leadership qualities which I aim to possess, so that in time to come, no matter where I may be, if given the opportunity to lead, I will be able to lead like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment